Suggestions from Bike Helena:
Mount Helena is what we're known for. She stands guard over MTB City and is easily accessible from MTB City.
- Hooks into Helena ridge and makes a great foundation for longer ride
- Many choices for descent
- Close to downtown
- Hikers outnumber you on the front side
- Dump Gulch really was a dump so count on popping a tire on 100 year old glass
Suck it up buttercup! Mount Ascension from the front is a soul crushing wrastling match with gravity. But, there are some ways to sneak around it if your heart and soul are weak.
- Overlooked by hikers
Scratchgravel Hills is your view looking north from MTBCity. It's your land, managed by the Bureau of Land Management. There is a beautiful route to the most popular trailhead that is on trails and a county road. Scratchgravel Hills is home to the "Unravel the Scratchgravel" race sponsored by our friends at Big Sky Cycle and Fitness.
- One of the most level systems around, good for acclimating if you're from lower elevation
- Dries up earlier in the spring
- Great views
- Little traffic
- You can wander around and explore without feeling like you're on a death march.
- No breweries nearby
- Vicous cacti on either side of the trails. Pack an extra tube.
Here's what MTB PROJECT has about the Scratchies: Scratchgravel Hills
Several trails. We'll get to this shortly. Google it for now.